poniedziałek, 20 sierpnia 2012

6. Animals of the Gulf of Maine, Hartford, USA

Hello there!

Long time no see, huh? I've received a few postcards, though. Today I'm showing you a very nice postcard, which was sent on 17 June 2011 (over a year ago!) but I got this on 12 July 2011. Quite fast, I guess. The postcard shows several water animals living in the Gulf of Maine:


From the upper left to right side: Queen Crab, Green Sea Urchin, Neptune Whelk and Northern Welk, Northern Sea Star, Moon Snail Northern Lobster, Atlantic Horseshoe ( :] ) Crab. At the very bottom, from the left side: Scallops and Clams, Male (on the left) and Female (on the right) Scallops, Spiney Sun Star.

My favourite pictures are the three on the right: Sea Star, Horseshoe Crab and Sun Star. Their names are so adorable! :D

I did a quick research and did you know that...:
Queen Crabs are edible?
a proper name for Green Sea Urchin is "Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis" (love you Latin)?
Whelks' shells are sometimes taken by Hermit Crab to make home :)
a real Moon Snails' name is "Naticidae"?
Atlantic Horseshoe Crab is less related to Crabs than to spiders?

If you know some more interesting facts about these or other sea water animals, let me know below this post :)

Bye!
Marta

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz